Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Lesson 4: Reality Is Tough, So Be Sure to Train Hard Before It Hits You

People sometimes look at me funny when I tell them I used to train to be a kickboxer (muay thai, if you must know). Of course, this was 15 years ago, back before reality hit and I got married and had kids and discovered that most dreams fail to materialize.

I'm in the worst shape of my life now. Having trained in professional dojos and sweat-soaked gyms, atop bloody wrestling mats and in the musty garages of backyard si-fus, I should know better than to let myself go the way that I have. But for years there hasn't been anything threatening me to get in shape. No upcoming fight or even a sparring match to look forward to. And so my fitness suffered.

I'm talking more than just physical fitness here, folks. When you're subjected to years upon years of complacency, your brain grows soft from a lack of challenge, a lack of adversity. I've overloaded myself in adversity in the last few weeks and it's showing. My brain aches from an influx of new experiences and stress, my muscles are screaming from overuse.

But it feels good. I'd forgotten how good.

And so, I'm thinking it might be time to start training again. Good thing I'm back home, where my old dojo (and my old trainer) happen to be. Funny how life leads you in circles sometimes, isn't it?

No comments: