Sunday, August 13, 2006

Lesson 7: Happiness is a Journey, Not a Destination and Sometimes It's a Long-Ass Road

So I quit this job that I had for, like, four days. It was my dream job in a cute little town in the mountains, writing for the community daily.

But I wasn't happy.

My car broke the second day on the job and I was forking out $25 a day to drive a rental car an hour and a half up the hill from where I'm living now to the office, and I was miserable.

It was a nice drive. I'd leave at 6 a.m. and watch the sun rise over the mountain range -- the sun's rays casting orange spikes over the peaks -- the sky changing from midnight blue to gray to azure.

But I need more than a beautiful sunrise. I need hope. And I felt hopeless after four days on the job in a little hick town that shut down at 9 p.m.

So I quit and created chaos. The ridiculous thing is that I'm so happy to be freefalling again. Who knows where I'm headed now. My options are now severely limited -- there are no other newspapers within driving distance that I want to work at -- but to me, all that means is that my future is limitless. No more community newspapers. I'm headed for something new -- a destination unknown.

And that's fine by me. I am an adventurer at heart, after all.

No comments: